Saturday, April 28, 2012

An Album For Every Year I've Been Alive: 1991

The Full Roster

Del tha Funkee Homosapien, I Wish My Brother George Was Here
The Dils, Dils Dils Dils
Electronic, Electronic
Woody Guthrie, Immortal: Golden Classics, Pt. 2
Mercury Rev, Yerself Is Steam
Pearl Jam, Ten
Pixies, Trompe le Monde
They Might Be Giants, Miscellaneous T
Toy Dolls, Fat Bob's Feet
Violent Femmes, Why Do Birds Sing?
Tom Waits, The Early Years, Vol. 1

The seven album phenomenon continues in 1991, although this year the competition begins to stiffen.  In the end, the winner was fairly clear, but before I get to that some Notable Notables:  Miscellaneous T was, as I may have mentioned, the first album I ever bought, on cassette tape.  I don't remember where I got it--in fact, I'm almost positive I bought it well after it came out (probably at least 1992), since picking up a collection of They Might Be Giants b-sides and rarities was probably nigh impossible to do on a military base in Japan, where I was living in 1991.  But nevertheless, it sticks in my memory as the first album I purchased myself.  Alas, as a compilation, it's ineligible for the big prize.  So too is Dils Dils Dils, for the same reason, as well as the other more obvious comps on the list.  You'll also notice Pearl Jam making their debut on this list; there should be a number of appearances from them, though to be honest I can only think of one or two albums that I particularly enjoy.  This is what happens when friends push music on you.  Sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss, but most of the time it's more, "Yeah, they're alright, I guess."  Sorry, friends.

Favorite Album:  Pixies, Trompe le Monde

The Pixies' swan song, Trompe le Monde is sometimes (dis)regarded as Frank Black's solo debut; whether or not you agree with that sentiment, either way I find it to be their second-best release, after previous winner Doolittle.  That sense of playfulness that I had accused of disappearing as the Pixies' career went on (back in my Surfer Rosa recap, remember?) actually re-surfaces on Trompe le Monde, albeit almost entirely in the form of songs about outer space and/or aliens.  Either way, it's a welcome return; but putting paid to the notion of a Frank Black solo album is the unique sound created by the band to back up those songs, specifically Joey Santiago's excellent guitar work.  Case in point:  "Planet of Sound," about an alien searching for Earth after hearing the sounds being broadcast from it, is one of the most blistering songs in the Pixies' arsenal, with wailing guitars, a heavy bass line, and drums that sound like they're being attacked all complementing Black's distorted vocals.

That complementary relationship extends throughout the album, from architect tribute "Alec Eiffel" to the sneeringly dismissive "U-Mass," ironically dismissive "Subbacultcha," and surf-poppy "Lovely Day."  And at the back end of the album, "Motorway to Roswell"--about the unfortunate intergalactic vacationers who crashed in the Nevada desert--is the perfect, plaintive send-off to this great band.  Well, except that "The Navajo Know" comes right after it.  Oh well.




Honorable Mention:  Del tha Funkee Homosapien, I Wish My Brother George Was Here

It's hard to believe that Del was only 18 when he recorded this album; has there ever been a more assured and definitive debut from an artist so young?  Well, aside from maybe Michael Jackson.  And probably a whole bunch of others, really.  But still.  18.  Shit.

Being something of a genre neophyte, and also a lot of an English-major nerd, what appeals to me most about hip-hop is the lyricism, over and above production or flow or cool factor.  Although I'm a sucker for an infectious beat, it's smart and/or clever lyrics that really grab me, and in that regard I Wish My Brother George Was Here is fantastic.  "Ahonetwo, Ahonetwo" takes a series of mundane personal details and entertains with them, dropping rhymes like "I plan to grow dreads / But first a nappy fro / The longer the hair / The easier to scare a foe."  "Same Ol' Thing" calls out other rappers for unoriginality; earlier on the album, he backs it up with songs about deadbeat friends ("Sleepin' On My Couch"), gangster self-destruction ("Hoodz Come In Dozens"), and perhaps the finest song ever written about taking the bus ("The Wacky World of Rapid Transit").  But when I think of this album, one song in particular stands out: the earworm that is "Mistadobalina."  Just try and keep that one out of your head.




Most Ridiculous Song:  Toy Dolls, "Turtle Crazy," from the album Fat Bob's Feet

Speaking of songs getting stuck in heads, putting "Turtle Crazy" here has just inserted it into my brain for at least a few days.  But it's a sacrifice I just have to make, because for anyone alive during Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle mania has to identify with this song.  Here, the Toy Dolls replace their usual chorus of chanting pub-dwellers with a chorus of children, which is almost always a bad move but makes sense in this particular case.  And if it doesn't drive you half as crazy as it has me over the years, well...lucky you.




(15 of 111)

No comments: