Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Diary of My Discontent, Part 2

I acknowledge that once again there has been a gap in my correspondence. I would take full responsibility for this, but as you may well know, that is just not my nature. So instead I'll lay the blame at the feet of the real culprits: court-appointed psychiatrists. As if I am somehow a "danger to society" who "harbors deep delusions about his fellow citizens" and "cannot be trusted with a toothbrush, let alone drive a car or ride public transportation." First of all, that toothbrush had it coming; secondly, do you realize how long it takes to walk everywhere in the suburbs? Rather a long time, I can assure you. The local grocer is open 24 hours and I still have to leave my house an hour early to get there before it closes.

Anyhoo, enough about my legal troubles; back to the action, eh? Just how did I intrepidly escape the clutches of that curly-haired nasal monstrosity called Eric Walkingshaw, and return to my less-than-grateful community? Well, read on:

Day 8

Depression. My escape is at least good two weeks away, if my calculations are correct; it is indeed difficult to register the days properly in my darkened prison tower/apartment bathroom, especially given the fact that I have adopted a few traits from my feline roommates and began sleeping at irregular intervals. Also I've begun combing my hair by licking my palms and running them across my scalp--which isn't all that bad, actually, since I'm beginning to resemble a Bunnyman. In any case, the grand Walkingshaw moving adventure will not be happening for some time, and I have two options: rack my brains to find an alternate solution, using all the willpower and ingenuity that I can muster to find my way to freedom; or, on the other hand, whimper and cry.

Day 9

I choose option two.

Day 10

Having nearly dehydrated myself with my weeping, I saunter over to the water bowl to find it empty. Strange, I think; then I realize that I haven't been fed for two days either. I also haven't heard the strange, deep-throated caterwauls that often wake me frightfully from my catnaps until I remember it's just the sound of Eric talking, and not some extra-dimensional monster creature bent on devouring my life-force. Have I been abandoned by my captors, left to rot in this large-laundried, racquetball-court-having apartment complex? The kittens are eyeing me hungrily. I meow threats at them, but they just cock their heads as if they can't understand. I can't help it if I have a thick accent! I was born human!

Day 11

At last, information! I heard the front door open today, and Allison rather foul-mouthedly celebrating a victory she had over someone called "The Instructor." I ask you: is it at all lady-like for a woman of such fine breeding to refer to male genitalia in such a derogatory manner? I submit that it is not.

There is a large amount of movement and rustling noises coming from the bedroom area. I fear the worst; thankfully, it is revealed that Eric is simply packing for some kind of trip, and it was not the audio portion of what I had assumed to be some kind of unclean co-mingling, if you catch my drift. As if my presence here wasn't horrific enough...

Anyway, Eric is apparently heading off to Germany for a while. Strange; I was not aware that the Germans were robot sympathizers--this may force me to re-think my love for gigantic unhealthy sausages.

No, wait--I can't help it. Robot-lovers or no, them Germans make some damn fine sausages. Herzerkrankungen!

Day 12

I yearn for gigantic unhealthy sausages. Instead, I am fed all the leftover bulk foods that Eric has left behind. I instantly gain 27 pounds.

Day 13

When all seems lost, hope, like the Terminator disappearing into a vat of molten steel, warms the cold, cynical insides of my heart. Allison's three-day-long bender following what I now understand to be a fencing victory of some kind has opened the door to my escape. Literally: she has left the bathroom door open after feeding the cats and I, having passed out on the floor, bottle of Jagermeister nestled in her hand. I slowly peer out of the open door, into the world that I left behind nearly two weeks ago; it is strange, for I feel almost reluctant to leave this place, as if it has become like a home to me. The two kittens I've spent so much time squabbling with stand awkwardly behind me; I cannot tell if they are wishing me farewell or pleading silently for me to stay.

Allison emits a loud unconscious burp. There is a widening pool of drool on the floor next to her face. Clearly, I have overstayed my welcome.

I step out of the bathroom and into the apartment proper, which is littered with empty bottles, all beer and liquor of German origin: St. Pauli Girl, Jagermeister, Warsteiner, and a variety of schnapps. It appears her victory celebrations have morphed into a self-destructive pining for her absent husband. I feel a tinge of sympathy, and then I smell something that eerily resembles the aroma of the litterbox, and I beat a hasty retreat.

The crisp autumn air smacks me in the face like the welcome-home slap of a jilted bride. I am free! Free! I do a cartwheel. I blow kisses at passers-by, shouting pleasantries at them, but they all look at me with a combination of fear and disgust. In my joy, I confuse this for wonderment, but upon reflection, I should have realized that when they were whipping out their cell phones and dialing hurriedly, they were not in fact calling friends and acquaintances to "get a load of this guy," but were instead informing the local police about the crazed man running in torn rags through the the streets of Corvallis, meowing like a kitten and looking oddly like he once belonged in a seminal 1980s rock band from Liverpool.

Day 14

The Corvallis jail is rather well-kept, I must admit. And the beatings are relatively gentle. If you're going to get arrested for indecent exposure and just generally being a transient crazy, might I recommend doing so in Beaver country?

No comments: